Sessions held as part of the toolbox talks or during training days are a valuable part of any health promotion campaign. Scone Inspire Health specialises in preventative health education and covers sessions such as obesity, fatigue, heart disease, diabetes, hypertension, degenerative aging processes – such as arthritis, seasonal issues such as colds / flus, allergies / hayfever, and heat stress.
Manual Handling Training
The effectiveness of any program or training depends on how the trainer presents the information! Scone Inspire Health ensure their information is practical in nature, specific to the work environment and interactive providing the best ability for each participant to absorb and then apply the new skills to real life situations.
Our manual handling program is tailored specifically to your site and uses real instances of site manual handling tasks to practice and cement the correct skills. The program is competency based and encourages peer review to ensure skills are being reinforced. The training is often pivotal in finding “red flag” manual handling risk factors onsite, which is appropriately brought to the attention of the site safety personnel for further investigation. We can further assist with offering ergonomic improvements or alternative solutions to minimise the associated manual handling risks.
Risk insurance analysis and auditing
This service is invaluable for improving workers compensation premiums, creating premium projections and forecasts, problem solving complex cases, strategising to minimise litigation and ensuring legislative requirements are being met. With a background in accounting, auditing and complex litigation cases, our Risk Insurance Analyst has an extensive background in the industrial environments, and has proven success in significantly reducing workers compensation premiums saving the company several hundreds of thousands dollars. The company’s that have employed our services in this field, are now at the forefront in the injury management statistics, greatly reducing the hours of lost time, improving return to work rates and enabling a shorter rehabilitation duration, resulting in lower claims cost.
When done properly, stretching exercises can do more than just decrease risk of injury and reduce workers compensation premiums. The benefits of stretching include:
- Enhanced physical fitness
- Enhanced ability to learn and perform skilled movements
- Increased mental and physical relaxation
- Enhanced development of body awareness
- Reduced risk of injury to joints, muscles and tendons
- For injury recovery and repair
- Reduced muscular soreness and tension
- Increased suppleness due to stimulation of the production of chemicals which lubricate the connective tissues
As with the above program, this is very much a practical session, offering quick site specific solutions. Generally, we develop a specific static and dynamic stretching program to suit your needs and a “stretch” leader is nominated within the site group to facilitate the sessions. The leader is often one of the health and safety team members, but can equally be a dedicated worker that is generally fit and healthy and happy to lead a group.
Laminated posters are also provided, and placed strategically around the site, to remind and encourage workers on how to stretch.
Onsite Clinical Services
The purpose of having an onsite service, is for prompt and cost effective injury management solutions. Timeliness of treatment is critical when aiming at reducing length and severity of musculoskeletal injuries. Our team of Occupational Therapists / Injury Management & Return To Work Specialists, Nutritionists and Remedial Massage Therapists have proven that onsite clinics significantly reduce workers compensation premiums. A regular in-house clinic easily establishes rapport with the workers and assists the onsite Return To Work Coordinator to identify appropriate levels of intervention that can minimise offsite medical costs, medically treated injuries (MTI’s) and most importantly, lost time.
An onsite Occupational Therapy clinic can offer:
- Effective and timely injury management
- Solutions for return to work plans and identifies a suitable duties list appropriate for that worker which assists with timely upgrades
- Functional assessments / workplace assessments
- Communication with the insurer, nominated treating doctor (NTD), occupational physician and other rehabilitation providers
- Fitness for work assessments and programs
- Supply the appropriate medico-legal documentation required for complicated workers compensation or fitness for work litigation cases
- Offer best practice guidelines for claim cost minimisation on a case by case scenario
- Support and encourage healthy lifestyle practices including exercise, relaxation and good nutrition
- Manual handling assessments and training
An onsite Nutritional clinic can offer:
- Nutritional assessments and baseline health data which promotes both preventative health strategies for low risk employees, whilst motivating high risk employees (workers with unhealthy behaviours) to make small measurable changes that significantly improves their overall health
- Specific dietary plans to suit models for supporting both wellness and disease correction – obesity, fatigue, chronic health issues – heart disease, diabetes, hypertension, degenerative aging processes – such as arthritis, gastro-intestinal problems, and food intolerances
- Advice on appropriate nutritional supplementation with appropriate referral and communication with the employees local General Practitioner or Occupational Physician
An onsite Massage Clinic can offer:
- Structural and ROM assessments with specific identification of problem areas
- Cost effective hands on treatment providing quick and effective relief from muscular aches and pains reducing the need for offsite (more costly) rehabilitation
- Effective and timely injury management for musculoskeletal injuries
- Reduction in claims costs for workers compensable injuries
- Stress reduction and management strategies
- Advise on postural corrections
- Provision of regular stretching regimes to minimise risk of injury, treat injury and prevent recurrence / aggravation of injury
An important part of an overall risk management strategy is to consider the ergonomic constraints each work environment creates. The health professionals at Scone Inspire Health, have sensible and logical solutions to common ergonomic issues. Considering that manual handling and ergonomic issues account for close to 70% of all workers compensation cases, it should allow for a significant portion of your risk management resources to be dedicated to this area. The average cost of a musculoskeletal claim is between $2700 – $3000, and this assumes no surgical treatment is required.
Our team completes an ergonomic assessment and is emailed to you no later than 24 hours after the assessment detailing the problem areas, and outlining recommendations for improvement.
Task analysis and job checklists
These Task Analyses and Checklists are used to gather a comprehensive list of the tasks involved and the physical / functional requirements for each position onsite. This data is important in determining an appropriate and meaningful list of suitable duties for workers on suitable duties. It is also vital to understand fitness for work standards and can be used to define the physical requirements for pre-employment standards. During the analysis, the Occupational Therapist can often identify key “risky” areas, specifically relating to manual handling issues and repetitive strain factors.
Developing a database such as this, clearly demonstrates long term cost savings. Firstly, it ensures you understand the rigors of each position allowing you to employ people functionally fit to perform the position. It then ensures any workers on an injury management program are being meaningfully employed, ensuring suitable duties can be identified onsite, and then duties are provided within their specific medical restrictions thus minimising exacerbation of or a prolonging of their condition.
A range of Health Screening can be offered either onsite or at our clinic. The screening options consist of:
- Pre-employment functional assessments
- Functional assessments for injury / illness management and or rehabilitation services
- Fitness for work assessments
- Manual handling technique and tolerances to apply to return to work programs
- Baseline health measurements – BP, HR, BGL
- Core stability
- Proprioreception / balance assessment
- Grip strength
- Blood pressure, pulse, and resting heart rate
- Nutritional assessments
- Live blood cell analysis
- Cellular health measurements
- Biomarker aging and body composition assessments
- BMI and VAT (visceral adipose tissue) assessments
- Fat / muscle ratios
- Intracellular / extracellular water ratios
Verbal reports are provided at the end of each onsite clinic, followed with a written report emailed within 24 hours of the assessment to assist with managing the employees onsite. The data collected is used to provide regular statistical analysis and assist with demonstrating the targeted outcomes decided upon.
We start by undertaking a thorough needs analysis of your site, and this enables us to identify the core health, safety and rehabilitation solutions to suit your company. By targeting a specific model, we can systematically manage the optimal health and safety needs of your site in a holistic method, producing significant economic savings to your bottom line.
Scone Inspire Health use the latest technology and regularly reviews best practice procedures and evidence based literature to ensure we are giving you the best service. We pride ourselves on the relationships we develop with our corporate clients and aim to implement longstanding service arrangements resulting in a win-win situation.
Scone Inspire Health is committed to providing a valuable, cost effective service that specifically addresses your needs onsite, and we regularly review the successfulness of the program both for the business and the individual worker. In this way, we ensure that our programs continually improve and you receive the most appropriate level of service at the least amount of cost to your organisation. Once our services are engaged, we establish regular reporting mechanisms allowing feedback to you and your key stakeholders. This will ensure we are meeting the targeted outcomes that were agreed upon.
Some outcomes that we regularly report on include:
- Lost time injury trends (pre-program, during and long term projections)
- Changes to absenteeism rates (both certificated and unexplained)
- Economic benefits: comparing historical workers compensation premiums with actual, and projections
- Measurements of injury management time with comparative data to similar sites to assist with benchmarking and best practice
- Baseline health data and functional fitness for work levels
- Improvement in key health targeted areas such as weight loss, fatigue and mental health
Ring now on 02 6545 3565 to discuss your company’s requirements.